Sunday, January 30, 2011

An Ode to Steak Fajitas!

I love Mexican food as much as I love Italian food.  If I had to pick two types of cuisine I had to live off of the rest of my life those would be it. Though I don't remember, my parents tell me about how they would take me to ChiChi's in King's Plaza in Brooklyn when I was little and how I loved it. The last time my parents visited Savannah we made 3 trips to Jalapeno's, a locally owned Mexican restaurant not far from my house.  Three trips all in one week, might I add (can you see where my love of Mexican food comes from?).  I don't think I have found Mexican food I don't like, with the exception of a few ill-fated Taco Bell meals.  Whenever I make my meal list, there is bound to be at least one Mexican/Tex-Mex meal on there and this past meal list was no exception (in fact there are 2- this is the first one I will be sharing)

I have been lucky enough to experience Mexican food at its finest when I went to El Paso and New Mexico this past October.  My best friend is stationed out of Fort Bliss in El Paso and I was finally able to go out there for a week long visit.  I was excited about this trip for many reasons: I hadn't seen my best friend in almost 2 years, I was going without the kids for my first week away since they were born, I got to travel out to the Southwest for the first time and I knew I was in for some of the best Mexican food I would ever get short of crossing the border.  And I was right, the food was absolutely amazing.  My best friend appeased my Mexican food love and we had Mexican three times that week.  We went to a small Mexican restaurant up the block from her house where I was able to get a feast for about 7  bucks, a combo platter with an enchilada, a huge chili rellenos, fried taco and a tamale, served with a heaping portion of rice and refried beans.  Then there was our shopping trip the the outlets where not only did I get to feed my Coach and Bare Escentual addictions,  I got to experience the most amazing flautas smothered in sour cream and salsa verde from a Mexican snack booth.  The piece de resistance of Mexican food during my trip to the beautiful southwest was when my BFF took me to Olde Mesilla, NM and I got to experience La Posta. 


As soon as we got out of the car I could smell the steak cooking from half a block away.  Right then I knew I was getting steak fajitas.  First, we walked around Olde Mesilla, as I took in the sites.  I now understand why they call New Mexico the "Land of Enchantment", it is absolutely beautiful.  We then went to La Posta, an old trading post Ponce de Leon and Billy the Kid once stayed at. The old adobe style building has been converted to an amazing restaurant and artisan shops.  We went for lunch and it was the best Mexican meal of my life.  I didn't really need to look at the menu, I ordered their steak fajitas and they were the best fajitas I have ever had in my life.  Period.  Words really can't express just how delicious they were and how I crave La Posta to this day.  After eating, I stopped in their chili shop to load up on food goodies, like red pepper enchilada powder, and green chilis (which I will be using in my green chili black bean chili this week).

I left El Paso with fond memories of the great times I had with my best friend and of the food I got to experience while out there.  One day, hopefully soon, I will go back but until then I have to satiate my Mexican food cravings through my own cooking or by going to Jalapeno's for their deliciousness.  Last night I made steak fajitas that were delicious and easy.  They definitely quelled my latest La Posta craving.

Steak Fajitas
1 marinated Flank Steak*
1 large onion, sliced
3 bell peppers sliced into strips, I used red, orange and yellow peppers
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp  adobo seasoning
1 tbsp cumin
1 1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper
1 pack of flour tortillas

toppings (all optional)
shredded cheese
pico de gallo
sour cream (I use low fat)
guacamole ( I had left over from earlier this week, Keeping it well wrapped, along with storing it with the avocado pits help keep it from turning quickly.)

* Mike made the marinade since I was at the mall with the kids.  He said he used Worcestershire sauce,  a dash of balsamic vinegar, ground mustard, ground coriander, cumin, adobo, steak seasoning and s&p.  He just informed me that he gave it a rub down too. I am starting to get concerned since he seems to have enjoyed rubbing down the steak a little too much in a way that is not fitting for a piece of meat that would become our dinner; the freak.


  • Preheat your broiler.
  • In a large skillet, add olive oil.  Once hot, add onions and start to sautee for a minute or two.  Then add peppers and spices and give a quick stir.  Allow to sautee til the onions are brown and caramelized and the peppers have caramelized (about 15-20 minutes).  If peppers and onions start to stick, add a little more olive oil

  • Once oven is pre-heated put flank steak on broiler pan and broil 5-6 minutes per side for medium rare.  I don't cook flank steak to well done, it becomes too tough for my taste.

  • Once steak is done, allow to rest for 5 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.  Once rested, cut desired size slices against the grain.  Add slices (and steak drippings if you like) to peppers and onions on the stove and give a quick toss to incorporate flavors.
  • Serve with warm tortillas and desired toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment