Anyways, I have made pulled pork before, but I have never made pulled chicken BBQ and I think I actually like it better than the pulled pork. I try limit my pork consumption, with the exception of bacon and sausage then it's game on. I can't get enough of either and of course it has to be the "healthiest" cuts of pork. This BBQ chicken recipe was the perfect meal for a day spent at the circus, gorging on everything from cotton candy to snow cones to french fries. The bbq sauce is not heavy like bottled sauce, it is a homemade bbq sauce and we used boneless chicken breast for the meat. You are more than welcome to substitute dark meat for this dish, if you like. I didn't even bother making side dishes, the sandwich was plenty after a day of stuffing ourselves silly with circus food-fare.
I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did!
Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
2-3 lbs of chicken breast, trimmed of excess fat
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 tbsp butter, cubed
1 C water*
1 C chicken broth*
2 C ketchup (we use all natural heinz)
3 tbsp brown sugar
4 tbsp white vinegar
2 tsp ground mustard
kaiser rolls or steak rolls
corn starch (optional)
cheddar cheese (optional)
(* when it comes to the liquid component of the sauce, you can use either all water, all broth, or half of each. I chose to use half of each because I wanted to add some flavor to the bbq sauce but I didn't want it overpowered by the chicken broth. This choice is completely up to you.)
- In a slow cooker add chicken breasts. In a bowl, mix onion, green pepper, butter, water, broth, ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar, mustard and s&p. Once combined, pour over chicken.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high 4 hours.
- Once done, if sauce is thin (like ours turned out) mix 2 tbsp of cornstarch with 2 tbsp cold water. Add cornstarch mix to slow cooker and let cook for 5 more minutes. The bbq sauce will thicken.
- Shred chicken with two forks.
- Serve on rolls and top with cheddar cheese if desired.