Saturday, April 16, 2011

Wow...

2 + weeks since my last post.  I apologize for that.  Sometimes life just gets into the way and these past two weeks have surely been busy.  Between soccer practices, doggy pack walks, parties and even adding a new member to our pack (Marla, an 18 month old bully mix who is sweet as pie) I kind of let my blogging slack.  I have had good intentions about blogging, taking photos and mental notes about certain recipes to be tucked away for a less hectic day where the blogging would roll freely. (Un)fortunately that day is today.  We all know what they say about the road of good intentions and where it leads...

to rice krispie treats?

I figured I would ease my way back into the blogosphere with a treat recipe that I made this week for my daughter's easter party at school.  It is easy and tasty and you can't buy a box of Rice Krispies without finding the recipe printed somewhere on the box.  I chose to make rice krispie treats for her class because I have been craving them.  The processed treats you can buy in the store taste like the chemicals used to preserve them so I never buy them. There is nothing like a homemade Rice Krispy treat.  It's warm and gooey and tastes of home (well, at least for me).  I googled various holiday inspired treat recipes and found the perfect one for the upcoming spring holiday: Rice Krispie Treat shaped eggs.  I sprinkled pastel colored sugar on the top of the eggs and voila, I had the piece de resistance of the goody bags for my daughter's school party.



The best part of the recipe is that the cooking part takes place in the microwave.  You don't even need to light the stove!


Rice Krispie Treat Eggs (recipe makes 20 eggs. If you need less then just halve the recipe)
1 box Rice Krispie cereal
2 bags of Jumbo marshmallows
6 Tbsp butter
Pam cooking spray
egg shaped cookie cutter
colored sugar or other edible embellishments.

  • In a large, microwavable bowl, add 1 bag of marshmallows and 3 tbsp of butter (this recipe is made in 2 batches).  Melt on high for 2 minutes.  Take bowl out of microwave, stir, and microwave for another minute.
  • Add 6 cups of Rice Krispies to marshmallow mixture and combine.
  • Allow to cool for a minute or too.  
  • Take your egg shaped cookie cutter and spray with Pam.  Spray your hands with Pam too so the Rice Krispie treats don't stick while you are molding the eggs.
  • Take enough Rice Krispie treat mixture to fill the cookie cutter.  Using your hands, mold the egg in the cutter so it takes on the shape of the egg, making sure to flatten out the broad sides (top and bottom) of the egg.
  • Place on cooling rack.  Sprinkle with candies, colored sugar etc.
  • Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment