Thursday, March 24, 2011

My 5 Year Old's Favorite Vegetable

Yesterday I was in Publix (yes, I live in that store, even if they do underpay their migrant farmers) doing a quick grocery shopping while I gather steam to venture to the commissary (shudder) sometime in the near future.  We were in the produce department picking up some fruits and veggies to counteract last week's restaurant binge.  Since I had Lily with me, I let her help me pick out what to purchase and my daughter chose nectarines and plums for my counter fruit tower.  We moved onto the veggies, where I had to pick up green beans when I hear my daughter squeal in delight.  "Mama, you have to get my favorite vegetables! " I hear Lil say as she points to a pack of asparagus.  I was in awe that my 5 year old daughter's favorite vegetable is asparagus, of all green veggies.  I know adults who won't even touch them.  We love asparagus in our house, even if it makes our pee smell funny and Mike and I's love has passed down to our daughter.  I couldn't be prouder that my daughter would pick such a "non-kid friendly" vegetable to proclaim her love for.  I dutifully picked up the pack of asparagus and added it to my shopping basket because who wouldn't deny their kid something so healthy, especially after I gave in to her demands for Cap'n Crunch cereal.




Ever since she was little, she has always been a great eater, even when doctor's were concerned over her size (petite). Luckily, we have a great pediatrician who reminds us how healthy and brilliant Lily is even if she is tiny for her age.  This kid can eat!  Not only does she like to eat, but she loves healthy food, like fresh fruits and veggies and water is her favorite beverage.  I don't force my kids to eat food they don't like, but we have a strict 3 bite rule in our house.  Needless to say, the kids have had a chance to try various foods and most of the time they find they like them.  I am a firm believer that our kids learn by our example, especially when it comes to food and this is proof.

After I put the asparagus into my basket, Lil asked me to prepare them in her favorite way, with lemon juice.  Though I didn't make them last night, I made her favorite asparagus tonight before her first soccer practice and it was a hit.  Here is the recipe, it is so simple and easy you just might have your kids proclaiming their love for these green stalks!

Lil's Asparagus
1 bunch Asparagus
2-3 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
s&p
  • Cut or snap the tough bottoms of the asparagus.  If you bend the asparagus, it will snap at the tough part.
  • In a casserole, add asparagus, olive oil, lemon juice and s&p.  Coat asparagus with evenly by mixing with your hands or a spoon (I chose hands)
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees and roast in oven for about 30 minutes til tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment